Thursday 10 September 2009

Françoise Hardy. The epitome of Gallic cool.

This is Françoise Hardy. In the sixties she hung out with Jean Luc Godard, and had a bit part in Masculin, Féminin. Name checked by Bob Dylan. Friends with Serge Gainsbourg. She sold millions of records in her native France. I suppose it says a lot about the xenophobic, macho state of the British music scene, then as now, that she never gained the fame she deserved in the UK. But no matter. The albums are still available. It's not too late. As I'm typing this her album Comment Te Dire Adieu? is playing, and I have a smile on my face.

I don't speak French, and she sings in French. So is that a problem? Depending on what mood I'm in, her lyrics can mean anything I want them to mean. Happy or sad. It constantly changes whenever I put on the record. Her voice is comforting, laconic and haunting. My soul is healing. All is well. Thank you Françoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment